MESSAGE THE LORD GAVE US IN THE COTTAGE MEETING AT EN EL LHANGKIM, MOREH WARD NO. 9 ON 30 JULY 2019:
2. Text – Luke 21:7-9, “Teacher,” they asked, “when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to take place?”
He replied, “Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them. When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first. But the end will not come right away.”
2. Somewhere at the back of our mind, we know Lord Jesus will surely be coming back. “And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be (Revelation 22:12),” The Lord said before he departed from His first sojourn on earth. It’s a mild statement that’s loaded with thought-provoking implication.
3. Many self-style preachers waxed eloquent on tribulation and rapture. A fake ‘evangelist’ created fear in his message given in a local Church telling the hearers that Jesus was coming very soon. He quoted Bible verses with a motive that wasn’t Biblical. The false teacher managed to collect a considerable sum of money by fooling the simple villagers that he needed fare money to go to Nepal to warn believers there of rapture. He never went. Jesus warned of this, “For many will come in My Name (Luke 21:8).”
4. Many may claim to know about the second coming of Jesus. But we should not believe them. Because no one really knows. Matthew 24:36 confirms this fact, “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” If the Son of God said so, who are these ‘prophesying’ imposters that we should trust what they say? But it also doesn’t mean that we should not get ourselves prepared for the Lord’s return.
5. Most of the things mentioned in Matthew chapter 24 have happened in our own times. False prophets have appeared and disappeared after being booed. Wickedness have increased. ‘Nation rose against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There were famines and earthquakes in various places (Matthew 24:7).’ If the Son of Man have not appeared in the sky, it could be because the Almighty thought it fit to extend the time of grace for the sake of the millions who have not been saved by accepting Jesus as their Saviour and Lord.
6. In the shade of moments, let us ponder deeply. Many massive deaths have taken place in our own times due to diseases, calamities, and accidents. Most of them might not have been told about repentance and salvation and the reality of hell. It is us who are kept alive today to meditate upon the teachings of Christ and get our spiritual life in order. It’s for our own good that the return of Christ has been delayed. The time is now for us to repent, confess our sins and accept Jesus as our Saviour and Lord. It’s said ‘delays have dangerous ends.’
7. Sin is something that, if not forgiven, will disqualify our candidature and hope to enter heaven. Billy Graham once said, “Sin is deadly like cancer. It is almost impossible to cure cancer, but sin has a cure in Jesus.” How true? There’s nothing we can do about our sin after death. The truth that Jesus is coming back to judge everyone according to his deeds or misdeeds should galvanise and quicken us to settle the sin problem. The remedy for this malady is in the Word of God:
“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He (God) is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:8 & 9).”